Advertisement

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

The Wind that Shakes the Barley Canadian folk singer Jesse Ferguson performs Robert Dwyer Joyce's "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" (Roud # 2994). I recorded this one a cappella a few years back, but have since done an arrangement for guitar. Chords and lyrics below.

Support this channel on Patreon:
My CDs are available on iTunes:
My CDs are also available in hard copy at:
My website is:
My facebook page is:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley
(Robert Dwyer Joyce [Roud # 2994], arrang. J. Ferguson, 2019)

V1.
Dm
I sat within the valley green;
C Dm
I sat me with my true love.
Dm
My sad heart strove the two between:
C Dm
the old love and the new love.
Dm
The old for her, the new that made
C Am
me think on Ireland dearly,
F C Am
while soft the wind blew down the glen
Dm C Dm
and shook the golden barley.

V2.
'Twas hard those woeful words to frame
to break the ties that bound us,
but harder still to bear the shame
of foreign chains around us.
And so I said, “the mountain glen
I'll seek at mornin' early,
and join the bold united men,
while soft winds shake the barley.”

V3.
As, sad, I kissed away her tears,
my fond arms 'round her flinging,
the foe man's shot burst on our ears
from out the wild wood ringing.
A bullet pierced my true love's side
in life's young spring so early.
And on my breast in blood she died
while soft winds shook the barley.

V4.
But blood for blood without remorse
I've taken at Oulart Hollow,
and lain my true love's clay-cold corpse
where I full soon may follow,
as 'round her grave I wander drear
noon, night, and mornin' early
with achin' heart whene'er I hear
the wind that shakes the barley.

Jesse Ferguson,Jesse,Ferguson,Cornwall,Ontario,Bard of Cornwall,folk,folk music,Celtic,www.jessefergusonmusic.com,Roud # 2994,Roud 2994,The Wind that Shakes the Barley,Irish songs,Irish rebel songs,Movie,Wind that Shakes the Barley,Irish,Ireland,Robert Dwyer Joyce,

Post a Comment

0 Comments