Advertisement

Drawing a Patron's Portrait on Wood with Colored Pencils

Drawing a Patron's Portrait on Wood with Colored Pencils In this week's video, I'm drawing a colored pencil portrait of Rick, a longtime family friend and an enormous supporter of my woodworking. Last year, he made two very important donations to my shop. A much needed table saw (replacing a dangerous table saw I had previously) and an antique Delta scroll saw, likely dating back to World War 2.

I wanted to create a decal or sticker for the scroll saw, reminding me of Rick every time I saw it and thanking him every time he saw it in a video. But come on. I can do better than that! After cutting the plywood, the idea came to me to draw a giant colored pencil portrait of Rick's head on this cabinet. What better way to send an over the top thank you than this?

Drawing on wood, especially using colored pencils on wood, presents some unique challenges. These include using up pencils and colored pencils quickly, damaging the wood through burnishing, and picking the right finish for your art.

For colored pencil art on wood, I strongly recommend using a high gloss spray on varnish. This will make the colors from the colored pencils and the woodgrain really pop. Using a spray varnish is important, too. Wipe on varnishes will smear the pigment, ruining your colored pencil artwork completely.

World War 2 colored pencil art video


Audrey Kawasaki


The MSPaint Comic on KTracy.com


The MSPaint Comic on Amazon Prime:

Kevin,Tracy,Colored Pencils,art,art on wood,drawing on wood,colored pencils on wood,portrait,colored pencil portrait,over the top,thank you,over the top thank you,wood drawing,audrey kawasaki,audrey kowasaki,colored pencil art,wood art,

Post a Comment

0 Comments