Advertisement

Comparative Reconstruction, Majority and Natural Development Principle Sound and Word Reconstruction

Comparative Reconstruction, Majority and Natural Development Principle Sound and Word Reconstruction In comparative reconstruction, we try to find out the ancestral language from a set of cognates by two principles: Majority Principle and Natural Development Principle.




The majority principle is very straightforward. If, in a cognate set, three words begin with a [p] sound and one word begins with a [b] sound, then our best guess is that the majority have retained the original sound (i.e. [p]).

The most natural development principle is based on the fact that certain types of sound change are very common [ Yule, (2017) The Study of Language, Chapter 17 ].

For detail, watch video.

#umairlinguistics

#linguisticslecturesinhindi
Follow me at the following platforms:

You Tube:



Follow me at Facebook:



Follow me at Twitter:



Follow me at Instagram:



Follow me at Tumblr:



Follow me at Mix:



Follow me at VK



Follow me at Linkedin:


comparative reconstruction,comparing cognates,majority principle linguistics,most natural development principle,most natural development principle linguistics,comparative method linguistics,descriptive linguistics,comparative method examples,linguistic reconstruction,comparative reconstruction majority principle,linguistic reconstruction examples,internal reconstruction examples,historical linguistics,comparative reconstruction grimms law,

Post a Comment

0 Comments